Thursday, April 14, 2011

Old Couples.

Yesterday I had to leave for work at 6:30. I didn't know they don't unlock the other doors until 7, so I had to walk across the parking lot and run through the store to make it on time. I don't understand why anyone goes grocery shopping at 7 in the morning... unless they've decided to cook a big breakfast and absolutely have to go.
This old man started a conversation with me while waiting for his wife. He practically told me his life story. He's from Michigan. I'm turning into my dad. I find people from Michigan... and I'm not even from Michigan! He asked me if I was married and had kids... 'tis possible, but I don't think I look that old... not that you have to be old... nevermind. The real inspiring part of his story was that he and his wife had been married 52 years. He said if he were to do it all over again, he'd choose her... that she was his rock, his buttercup. I had to smile. I like old couples that walk around holding hands, clearly still very much in love... it makes me feel warm inside.
My last customer at 4 that evening told me I was looking good... not exactly in the scary, "looking good way" although it was probably meant that way since he was younger. But I think that's a good way to end a long shift.
"I'm gonna soak up the sun, gonna tell everyone to lighten up" I went to the lake behind the church and ended up falling asleep on the dock. I'm not burnt, thank God... but I have an interesting tan line. I had to pee so bad I didn't want to walk all the way up the trail so I peed in the woods.
Today is my day off. I am going to drink my coffee and enjoy this morning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i peed in the woods this week too. i was walking with annie and it was raining and i knew a bathroom was at least 15 minutes away. i figured no one was around.

it felt sneaky. :]

Emily* said...

I live older couples too. There's this couple at my church and they make me feel all warm and fuzzy just looking at them.